Student United Way
To offer MSUB students a meaningful way to engage in United Way’s mission: to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of the community.
Student United Way isa campus-based community change organization that addresses critical education, income, and health issues in the community. SUW provides opportunities for students to plan, lead, and execute projects to develop the next generation of community leaders. After graduation, students can continue community-building with a local United Way chapter wherever they live.
Student United Way is a student-led organization that focuses on volunteer projects and work-study opportunities within the Billings community. Student United Way is partnered with United Way of Yellowstone County and various community partners. Therefore, Student United Way draws from an this pool of experience and knowledge in developing successful community-focused service projects. Student United Way is a non-partisan and non-religiously affiliated body.With a council formed from enrolled MSUB students, the group meets to decide which cause or issue is most important to students and develops service projects to address any identified need.
What are the benefits of joining Student United Way?
- Student United Way works to build citizen leaders within their local communities for the future. Being involved with a Student United Way while in college allows you to transition to connect United Way in any location after graduation.
- We aim to foster skills in communication, creativity, positive mental wellbeing and reflective practice. This is primarily achieved through high impact community partnerships, people management, and event planning and delivery.
- Student United Way focuses on job readiness through the lense of "Volunteering Your Way into a Job" as well as job-shadowing experiences with United Way board members when opportunities become available.
- Experience at service sites can be integrated on resumes for scholarship and job applications. You may request letters of recommendation from contacts you meet when volunteering, who can express your dedication to community building and/or leadership skills.
- We'll also send you the monthly e-newsletter Yellowjacket Reserves you may stay informed of upcoming volunteer opportunities.
When does the organization meet?
We meet weekly on Mondays at 5:30 PM in SUB Gallatin.
Fall 2021 Club Meeting Minutes
Student United Way has previously been involved in many of the volunteer events and opportunities hosted by MSUB for all students, staff, and faculty, including Service Saturday addressing multiple causes, Night on the Van addressing food insecurity, and Blood Drives addressing the critical need for blood among hospital patients. Student United Way also has worked closely with like-minded student organizations, such as ASMSUB and SAB, to address other initiatives in areas such as education, health care, and food/clothing insecurity on and off campus. As a general rule, if a project is volunteer or service based and it aligns with their mission statement, Student United Way is there to help!
2021-2022 Projects and Events
MSUB Student United Way is partnering with UWYC for OperationSupply, which helps stock local school pantries with school supplies and hygiene items for teachers, counselors, and administrators to provide to students in need throughout the school year.
Donate at the YEP! Donation bins on or before 9/16 at University campus SUB Stingers, Library, College of Education, College of Business, McMullen Hall 1st floor, as well as at City College campus Tech Commons.
Auto & Weather Disaster Preparedness Workshop
Nov. 1, 2021 @ 6:30 PM, Glacier Room
Learn about basic auto and winter weather disaster self-preparedness--important topics for any young adult to become self sufficient, more confident on the roads, and acclimated to the cold weather climate who have come to MSUB from out of state!
Hear from guest speaker Greg Neill, Emergency Response Manager at Riverstone Health. Neill serves on the Volunteer Advisory Council at United Way of Yellowstone County.
Days of Caring
Days of Caring 2021 will consist of volunteer engagement experiences that will occur during September-November, United Way's season of giving and caring.
Veterans Wreath Project: Craft wreaths to honor and remember Veterans at Mountview Cemetery this holiday season.
Where: SUB Bridger.
When: 6:00-7:00 PM on either Wednesday November 17, Monday Monday 22, and Wednesday December 1.
All are invited to volunteer!
Volunteering Your Way Into a Job Presentation
January 31, 2022 @ 6:30 PM, LI 148
Wondering how your different volunteer experiences here or there can be applied toward your resume? Learn about Volunteering Your Way Into a Job from United Way's Volunteer Center Director, Pam Sanderson. Her key strategies and experienced outlook will provide direction on how to set yourself up for success.
Presented in partnership with MSUB Career & Employment Services.