The Human Resources Office (McMullen Hall, Room 310, 657-2278) is one of the first points of contact for part-time faculty.  You must complete the required paperwork prior to or on your first day of employment.  As part of the paperwork, the I-9 Form, requires you to present original identification to Human Resources in order to complete the form. Please contact HR for acceptable forms of original identification.  Completion of Human Resources paperwork is required in order to receive your paychecks and access campus computing resources.  If you have worked for the university within the past year, you may not have to complete the paperwork. Contact HR to see if this applies to you.


Part-time faculty members teaching a cumulative total of four (4) or more semester credits participate in the TIAA/CREF retirement plan.  A part-time faculty member teaching fewer than four (4) semester credits may elect membership in TIAA/CREF in accordance with Title 19, Chapter 21 MCA.  If membership is not initially elected and a part-time faculty member's teaching load reaches four semester credits in a subsequent term, membership is required.

Contact the Human Resources Office (McMullen Hall, Room 310, 657-2278 or 657-2118) for more information on the part-time faculty policy regarding retirement contributions.


Part-time faculty serve on a semester basis at the discretion of the Department Chair, Dean and Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. This appointment may be terminated without cause at any time notwithstanding the term for which you are hired.


At the end of employment, part-time faculty are required to return all keys to the issuing office.  Following is the list of locations to return keys for each building:

  • Academic Support Center: ASC 10
  • Cisel Hall: CI 119
  • College of Health Professions and Science: APS 120
  • College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences: LA 427
  • College of Business: McD 300
  • College of Education: COE 261
  • City College: CC A027
  • Library: LIB 226A
  • McMullen Hall: McM 310
  • P. E. Building: PE 120
  • Science : SCI 241


Part-time faculty are compensated on a per credit hour basis. The total amount to be paid is spread evenly over the pay periods for the current semester. The first and last pay date for each semester can be found on the bottom of the MSU Billings payroll schedule found online.


The Montana State University system maintains a strict, detailed policy regarding Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, Stalking and Retaliation.

All acts that fall into these categories are not tolerated on university premises, within any of its programs, services or other University‐sponsored activities, or by anyone acting as an agent of the University.

It is extremely important that part-time faculty understand that, as authority on campus, it is their responsibility to immediately report any acts that fall into the categories above to their immediate supervisor and to the campus Title IX Coordinator, Janet Simon at 657-2221. This includes actions reported by students and other employees.

It is imperative that part time faculty and other employees read the policy to ensure that they are acting within its measures.


As a part time faculty member, you are required to complete online Discrimination, Harassment and Title IX training.   You have 30 days from your hire date to complete the training.   The training can be accessed by logging into My Info, selecting the MyApps tab and clicking on the Discrimination and Harassment Training link.

Policy on Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, Stalking, and Retaliation

Pursuant to Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX of the Education Amendments Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Executive Order 11246 as amended by 11375, and the Montana State Human Rights Act - Montana State University Billings has a policy of non-discrimination in employment practices and in admission, access to, and conduct of educational programs. Montana State University’s campuses are committed to providing an environment that emphasizes the dignity and worth of every member of its community and that is free from harassment and discrimination based upon race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran’s status, sex, age, political ideas, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. Such an environment is necessary to a healthy learning, working, and living atmosphere because discrimination and harassment undermine human dignity and the positive connection among all people at our University. Acts of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, and retaliation will be addressed consistent with the reference:  Discrimination Policy.

Montana State University Billings affords any student, employee, or applicant for admission or employment the opportunity to file a discrimination grievance.  Inquiries or grievances should be directed to the Human Resources/EEO-AA/Title IX Coordinator Office, McMullen Hall 308, Phone (406) 657-2278.


Keys or swipe access with an MSU Billings ID card are necessary to access classrooms and available office space. In no case are your keys to be duplicated or lent to students or members of the community.  Keys are returned at the end of each semester to the issuing office.

Swipe Card Access Issues

If you are having difficulty with your swipe card, please contact your department Administrative Assistant.


Part-time faculty members will be provided office space within the unit.  When private office space is not available, the Department Chair will arrange for shared space.


Telephones are available for use in the department.  The Department Chair will make arrangements for telephone use.


Montana State University Billings complies with and follows, without exception, the Administrative Rules of Montana (ARM) for the use of the state telephone system provided by the State Department of Administration.  The Montana Operations manual, Volume I states:

“11-03.01 - State telephones are provided for the conduct of state business.  In addition to state business, the state's telecommunication systems (STS) may be used by state employees and officials for local and long distance calls to latch-key children, teachers, doctors, daycare centers and babysitters, to family members to inform them of unexpected schedule changes and for other essential personal business.  The use of the state's telecommunication systems for essential personal business must be kept to a minimum and not interfere with the conduct of state business.  Essential personal long distance calls must be either collect, charged to a third party non-state number, or charged to a personal credit card."

Each state agency is responsible for the enforcement of these rules and audits personal usage.


The Department Chair will assist with computer access and copying of course-related materials.  Each department has its own procedures to ensure that essential materials are prepared for classes.


The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material (print, non-print).  Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction.  One of these specified conditions is the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research."  If a user makes a request for, or later uses a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

The following guidelines are given regarding copyrighted material:

  • All part-time faculty must make themselves familiar with the laws concerning the use of copyrighted materials. 
  • Before any copies are made, check the copyright regulations pertaining to that material.
  • Permission from copyright holders must be obtained prior to any copying except for one copy made for personal use, subject to the fair use provision of the copyright.
  • Support staff or students should not be asked to copy material that is protected by copyright and for which appropriate permissions have not been obtained in writing.  The support staff or student is personally liable for violation of copyright law, even if directed to do so.
  • In no case should any computer owned by Montana State University Billings or used on the campus contain illegal software.
  • Video tapes and television productions are generally protected by copyrights.  Unauthorized copies of video tapes and other such productions are not permitted on campus.
  • Computer software manufacturers’ license agreements prohibit making copies for use by those who have not purchased the software.  Software licensing agreements are very specific.

Montana State University Billings reserves the rights to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law and computer software licensing agreements.


University Police (657‑2147) is located at street level in the south west corner of the Parking Garage on Poly Drive.  The University Police Department has Officer(s) on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  All other departments operating from the University Police Department are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.  Members of the Campus community are encouraged to report all crimes and suspicious individuals or circumstances to the University Police Department (x2147). Crime Prevention information is available at the University Police Department.  Programs are available on request.

Officers may be reached by calling 657-2147.  All officers are sworn peace officers who have received their Public Safety Officers Standards and Training certification through the Montana Law Enforcement Academy. Receiving their Oath of Office through Billings Municipal Court, MSU Billings has an MOU with the City of Billings, affording University Police Officers city wide jurisdiction. The officers patrol the campus on foot, on bicycles and by campus police vehicles.  Officers also serve at the City College Campus and the Downtown campus locations, responding to all criminal complaints and investigations occurring on university owned and leased property.

The University Police Department requests that employees, who are in their offices during non-business hours, such as on weekends or holidays, notify the Duty Officer at x2147.  In the event of a building or utility emergency, they need to know that the building is occupied so that occupants can be notified to evacuate or remain in the building depending on the circumstances.

Employees, students, and guests are invited to request that a University Police Officer escort them to or from their vehicle or office anytime needed.

Emergencies and Accidents

If a faculty or student has an emergency or accident on campus, University Police should be notified immediately. The emergency number for both campuses is 657- 2222.  If medical response is needed, call 911 immediately.  As soon as possible after the emergency is handled, file a report with the Department Chair.

University Campus Parking

All part-time faculty who bring a vehicle on campus must have a parking permit as stated in the Traffic Rules and Regulations.  The University Police Department issues parking permits and tickets; it also controls parking use and maintenance of the lots.  Please complete a vehicle registration form, pay for the parking permit at the Business Office, then take the receipt and completed registration form to the University Police Department, or send the receipt with the completed and signed registration form through campus mail to receive the parking permit.  Department location is necessary to receive the permit.  Appeals of parking violations are coordinated with the University Police Department.

Guest speakers or visitors to campus can obtain a free one-day parking permit for their vehicle from the University Police Department.  These arrangements may be made in advance by contacting the Parking Department at x1703.

City College Campus Parking

Parking permits are required at the City College. For schedule and payment of fees and parking permit information, contact the City College Business Office (CITY COLLEGE A026, 247-3002).

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Campus Crime Statistic Act

It is important that every person on campus know about the Clery Act, previously known as the Student Right-To-Know Act.  The Clery Act requires institutions of higher education to publish a report documenting the occurrences of specific crimes on campus to be made available to all students and employees, as well as prospective students and employees.   A copy of the Clery Act is available on the University Police website. This document also explains services available to the university community from the University Police Department.  There is a daily crime log that is available for public review at the University Police Office during business hours.


All faculty and staff are encouraged to sign up for MSUB ALERT, a free emergency text messaging service.  In the event of an emergency or severe weather conditions, a text message will be sent to the mobile number and/or email address that is specified.  There will also be a RED ALERT icon placed on the MSUB home page.

  • This is a free service provided by Montana State University Billings.  However, normal text message fees from your cell phone carrier may apply.  To receive text messages, your cell phone must have text messaging capabilities.
  • To register or find out more, go to Emergency Notification System online.


Students may consult with the Student Resolution Officer relative to one or more faculty responsibilities.  The following procedures must be followed in the resolution of student complaints concerning part-time faculty:

The Student Handbook identifies this process:

  1. Student Complaint Resolution Procedure 
    When a student has good cause to believe that he/she has a complaint, he/she may utilize the following procedure.  The student should meet with the Student Resolution Officer (SRO) to discuss the complaint, clarify the details of the complaint, identify a desired resolution to the complaint, and submit written documentation to clearly state the nature of the complaint.  Complaints of sexual harassment (including sexual violence) by students will be referred to the Title IX Coordinator/Human Resources Office, McMullen Hall 310, Phone (406) 657-2278.

    “Complainant,” when used in this section, refers to the student making the complaint.  The individual(s) upon whose action the complaint is based (respondent) has the right and obligation to attend complaint resolution meetings.  Failure of either party(s) to attend reasonably scheduled meetings or hearings shall constitute forfeiture of the right to participate in the complaint resolution process at that step.  The SRO can help schedule and confirm meetings.  In such instances the Campus Hearing Committee shall proceed as indicated in Step IV.

    Step I - The student, after meeting with the SRO, will confer with the faculty or staff member against whom the complaint exists.  If resolution cannot be reached through discussion, the complaint must be put in writing to ensure that all parties understand the issues.  

    Step II - If the student feels the complaint is unresolved after the Step I meeting, the student must then attempt a resolution through discussion with the Department Chair (or supervisor in the case of a staff member) or, in the event the complaint is against a Department Chair or supervisor, with the appropriate Dean or Vice Chancellor.  This meeting must take place within ten (10) University business days of the Step I conference with the faculty or staff member and written documentation from Step I must be provided.

    Step III - If the student feels that the complaint is unresolved after the Step II meeting, the student shall request a meeting with the appropriate next-level supervisor (Dean, Provost, Vice Chancellor) in an effort to informally resolve the complaint through discussion.  This meeting must take place within fifteen (15) University business days of the Step II meeting or within twenty-five (25) University business days of the Step I meeting.  In the case that the Step II meeting was with a Dean or Vice Chancellor, the process will move directly to Step IV.

    Step IV - If the complainant feels that the complaint is unresolved after the Step III meeting, the complainant may, within ten (10) University business days, file the written complaint as a formal complaint with the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs will review the complaint and make and will contact the Complainant and SRO regarding outcome.  The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs can refer the complaint to the Chancellor for final determination or resolution.   In the event the complaint is against the Chancellor, the final disposition of the complaint rests with the President of Montana State University. 

    PLEASE NOTE: Online students who are distant from campus will participate in this process via telephone and teleconference in Steps I, II and III.  In the case of a Step IV complaint, other technology may be employed or the student may choose to physically come to campus for the hearing. 

    A complaint against a faculty member shall not result in the forfeiture of said faculty member’s rights as protected under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Montana State University Billings Faculty Association and the Montana University System.

Grade Appeal Procedure

Montana State University Billings has a set of procedures for contesting a grade which must be followed for appropriate resolution.  The student must understand that they cannot appeal a grade after fifteen (15) University business days from the official release date of those grades.  All documentation must be in writing and submitted to the instructor and Student Resolution Officer (SRO) (see Part IV. J.).

Step I – The student must meet with or attempt to make appropriate contact (email, phone, office hours, etc.) with their instructor to discuss their reasons for the grade appeal within fifteen (15) business days from the official release date of those grades.  Documentation supporting their claim should be made available at this meeting.  The University would like to have the student and the instructor discuss the details, in a reasonable, open manner, and formulate an agreeable resolution.

Step II – If the initial meeting (or attempt to meet) with their instructor did not provide an agreeable resolution, the student must then contact the ASMSU Billings Student Resolution Officer and schedule a time for them and the SRO to meet and discuss the reasons for the appeal.  The SRO can then help schedule a meeting between the student and the instructor of the course they are contesting or, if Step I was not successful, can help move the appeal to Step III.  The student must submit any documentation supporting your claim and a copy of the course syllabus to the SRO.  This information should be presented at the meeting with the instructor.  The instructor will submit a formal decision to the student, in writing, within fifteen (15) University business days.  A copy of the letter must be sent to the SRO.

Step III – If no resolution is achieved at Step I or II, the dispute may be brought to the Department Chair of the relevant department (if the dispute is with the Department Chair, then refer to Step IV).  The student must submit all documentation and a letter of appeal to the Department Chair within ten (10) University business days after receipt of the formal decision by the instructor.  The student will then schedule a meeting with the Department Chair.  The Chair will submit a formal decision to the student, in writing, within fifteen (15) University business days.  A copy of the letter must be sent to the SRO and the vice provost for Academic Affairs (VPAA).

Step IV – If no resolution is achieved at Step III, the dispute may be brought to the Dean of the relevant college.  The student must submit all documentation and a letter of appeal to the Dean within ten (10) University business days after receipt of the formal decision by the Chair.  The student will then schedule a meeting with the Dean at which the SRO will be present.  The Dean, as the representative of the relevant college, has the authority to review all documentation, discuss the matter with the instructor and Department Chair, and formulate a resolution.  The Dean will submit a formal decision to the student, in writing, within fifteen (15) University business days.  A copy of the letter must be sent to the SRO and the VPAA.

Step V – If no resolution is achieved at Step IV and the student wish to appeal further, the dispute may be brought before the vice provost for Academic Affairs.  The student must submit a letter of appeal to the VPAA within ten (10) University business days after receipt of the formal decision by the Dean.  The VPAA will review all grade appeal materials and documentation, and determine if the appeal needs to be heard by a Campus Hearing Committee.  The Campus Hearing Committee is comprised of a maximum of three students chosen by the Associated Students of Montana State University Billings (ASMSUB), three faculty members chosen by the VPAA from a pool of faculty members who serve on the Academic Senate Academic Standards Committee, and the VPAA, who shall serve as the Hearing Officer.  The Hearing Officer will not vote during the proceedings except in the case of a tie vote.  The Campus Hearing Committee will follow prescribed hearing procedures and make a recommendation to the Chancellor who makes the final decision.  The Chancellor will then have fifteen (15) University business days to send a formal and final decision to the student.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, is a Federal law stating that a written institutional policy must be established, and a statement of adopted procedures covering the privacy rights of students must be made available.  The law provides that the institution maintain the confidentiality of student education records.

No one outside the institution will have access to nor will the institution disclose any information from students' education records without the written consent of the students, except to personnel within the institution, to officials of other institutions where students seek to enroll, to persons or organizations providing student with financial aid, to accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, to persons in compliance with a judicial order and to persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.  All these exceptions are permitted under the Act.

The law provides students with the right to inspect and review information contained in their education records, to challenge the contents of their education records, to have a hearing if the outcome of the challenge is unsatisfactory, and to submit explanatory statements for inclusion in their files if the decisions of the hearing panels are unacceptable.

MSU Billings requires all staff members involved in the provision of services to students at the University to maintain the highest standards of ethical behavior.  This ensures that confidentiality regarding all student communications and records be rigorously upheld.  All student files and records will be kept in locked file cabinets, and information disclosed in individual counseling sessions kept confidential.  All electronic files containing student information will be kept on University computers; keeping records on personal computers or storage space is not permitted.  Access to files is only open to authorized, designated staff members; offices must notify students what information and records are being maintained.  Staff members may only release information and records with the written permission of the student.  Students may obtain a FERPA release waiver by visiting the Admissions office.

For more information, review the "Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act" online or call the Registrar’s Office 406-657-2158.


There may come a point when you encounter a student who you believe may be violating the student code of conduct or is presenting concerning behaviors. Montana State University Billings has implemented a recognition program called “See Something, Say Something” which provides you resources and the ability to quickly and efficiently report incidents or students of concern to the Dean of Students Office.

Get more information and the reporting process for Conduct Code Violations.

Get faculty/staff resources for distressed students or to report a student concern.

Even if you don’t have all the facts or you are unsure about the needs of the student the best thing you can do is submit information to the Dean of Students Office so the concern can be evaluated or referred appropriately.

You may contact staff from the Dean of Students Office at any time for questions:

Kathy Kotecki,  Dean of Student Engagement 406-657-1696;


The University wishes to foster an inclusive and diverse workforce free from discrimination. The University will provide reasonable accommodation to assist anyone with a disability in the successful completion of employment responsibilities.

In accordance with the ADA, MSU Billings ensures academic program accessibility as well as building accessibility for all persons with disabilities.  No individual with a disability will, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of the University or be subjected to discrimination by any such activity.

Any employee who needs to request an accommodation should contact Janet Simon, Director of Human Resources (McMullen Hall, Room 310, 406-657-2278/TTY).  Any student who needs to request an accommodation or question on accessibility should contact Trudy Carey, Director of Disability Support Services (College of Education, Room 135, 406-657-2283).


 Unlawful Possession - The unlawful possession, use, or distribution of alcohol and illicit drugs by Montana State University Billings employees and its students on institutional property or at any of its activities is prohibited.  Montana State University Billings will uphold and enforce the standards of conduct that prohibit the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of alcohol and illicit drugs by its employees and the students on MSU Billings property and during performance of one’s duties.

Alcohol Consumption - The consumption of alcohol on the Montana State University Billings campus is in accordance with the Board of Regents Policy (503.1).

  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages on property belonging to the Montana University System is prohibited, except as expressly permitted.
  • Alcoholic beverages may be consumed by students and their guests in individual dormitory rooms, provided such consumption is in compliance with state laws.
  • Unless otherwise authorized by the Chancellor, alcoholic beverages may not be consumed in the halls, lounge areas, utility rooms, and other public areas of the dormitories or in any other campus location.

Please refer to the Student Affairs Handbook for further policies regarding liquor consumption and resources available on the Montana State University Billings campus.


 Montana State University Billings has established the Institutional Review Board (IRB), and these guidelines in order to:

  • Comply with the National Research Act (PL 93-3481) as revised March 8, 1983 (Title 45, CFR, Part 46)
  • Work to protect the rights and welfare of all human participants in research
  • Facilitate the efforts of investigators as they attempt to conduct behavioral and biomedical research in an ethical manner

All investigators who involve human subjects in any MSU Billings research projects, including surveys, are required to follow both local and federal guidelines in all of their dealings with research participants.

Jurisdiction.  All research, including surveys, conducted by any person affiliated with MSU Billings and engaging human participants is to be submitted to the IRB for prior approval, with the following exemptions:

  • Normal education practices limited to and solely used by the instructor as part of the instructional plan, provided that no permanent individual records are made and that all MSU Billings and federal guidelines are followed with respect to the rights and welfare of human participants.
  • Normal administrative practices conform to the standards cited in the first exemption.
  • Class demonstrations and similar projects contain no violations of IRB protocol, MSU Billings guidelines, or federal guidelines and provide an alternative assignment or participation opportunity in the case where a class requirement involves students participating as subjects in research.

However, all research projects involving human participants as subjects are to be reviewed, whether or not the project is part of a formal course.  Even in activities exempted from prior approval, instructors, administrators, and students bear responsibility for guaranteeing that all applicable guidelines are followed in protecting participants' rights and welfare.

Procedures.  The MSU Billings Institutional Review Board Form may be obtained from the Grants and Sponsored Programs Office (205 McMullen) for review by the Institutional Review Board (IRB). The IRB form can be accessed at MSU Billings’ web site. Contact the Grants and Special Programs Office at 657-2046 if you need additional information..