Who is eligible?
- Students must be enrolled in a 4-year degree program at the MSUB university campus or enrolled in a 2+2 program at City College and MSUB.
- Students must also be a U.S. Citizen or be eligible for Federal Financial Aid.
- Students must meet at least one of the following three criteria:
- Low income - you qualify under federal financial guidelines on taxable earnings (similar to Pell Grant eligibility)
- First-generation college students (meaning that neither parent has a 4-year bachelor's degree)
- Documented disability as identified by the ADA (physical, learning, mental, emotional)
- Students must show the ability to benefit from TRIO/SSS services
What is the TRIO SSS Application Process?
- Students must fill out an application. Any student who qualifies for the program may be accepted into SSS TRIO, regardless of age or year in school.
- Students must also provide a copy of their taxes (if over 24 years of age) or a copy of their parent(s) or guardian(s) SIGNED previous year Federal Taxes (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ).
Once a completed application with tax information is received and program eligibility is determined, the student will be contacted to schedule an intake interview.
Students with disabilities must bring documentation of disability at the time of the interview.
All students must bring their U-card.
- After the interview, students will be notified about their acceptance status into the program. If accepted, the student will be assigned a mentor and can begin using any of the SSS/TRIO services.
What are Program Participation Expectations?
- Students must meet with their mentor at least three times
- Attend one workshop per semester
- Attend all classes
- Take ownership of individual academic success and individual growth
- Take responsibility to make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and to seek help early from TRIO SSS and/or other departments on campus
- Be proactive rather than reactive with individual learning
- Understand that potential and intelligence are not fixed; through hard work, diligent effort, and the successful application of strategies, program participants have the potential for success
- Understand that participation in TRIO SSS is voluntary and if students do not participate in the program, they will relinquish their spot to allow for support to be provided to another student
- Understand that the use of TRIO SSS equipment and resources limits their availability to other participants and will use these resources appropriately
- Respect the time and availability of TRIO SSS staff by scheduling and keeping appointments. Participants will call at least one hour in advance if they need to cancel an appointment.
- Understand that TRIO SSS is not responsible for personal items left in any of the TRIO SSS offices/rooms
- Understand that TRIO SSS has limited resources and abuse of those resources will not be tolerated
- Students who do not meet program participation expectations will be exited from the program.