UISFL Language & Study Abroad Scholarships for Students
Funding by the Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language (UISFL) program has been awarded to MSU Billings to develop new study abroad programs for Japan, South Korea, and China. All full-time undergraduate students are eligible for these programs. Students will begin language studies at MSUB before studying at one of our partner universities in China, Japan, or South Korea. Students are obligated to spend two consecutive semesters abroad. All credits earned while studying abroad will transfer back to MSUB.
Scholarship & Program Details
The MSUB UISFL will offer the following scholarships to students:
- Support for an academic year of study abroad: $1,200
- Online or face-to-face language instruction prior to studying abroad: MSUC or NWC
- Student Stipends for language study prior to studying abroad (course fees, materials): $1,000
- Study Abroad application fee waived for all participants: $150
Estimated Costs for the Program
- Tuition and Fees: Standard MSUB tuition and fees will apply
- Room and Board abroad (roughly 9 months): $5,000 – $8,000 (Depending on country)
- Airfare: $1,200
- Minimum 3.0 GPA;
- Completed at least 30 college-level credits;
- Enrolled full-time (12 credits) at either MSUB or NWC*;
- *NWC students must transfer to MSUB prior to the start of the study abroad portion of the scholarship
- Show a strong commitment to completing a year abroad for language study in China, Japan or South Korea;
- Any major is permitted, but students should show an interest in international studies and Asia
- Show how they will assist the OIS with promotional material during the program (blogs, vlogs, videos, etc.) AND act as an ambassador for the program following the conclusion of the program to help recruit future students.
Competitive Applicants Should:
Show how they will assist the OIS with promotional material during the program (blogs, vlogs, videos, etc.) AND act as an ambassador for the program following the conclusion of the program to help recruit future students.
East Asian Language Courses at MSU Billings
Students planning to apply for the UISFL Scholarship must take two semesters of the East Asian language of their desired destination prior to studying abroad.
MSUB now offered beginning Japanese and Korean languages!
Study Abroad Destinations Associated with the UISFL Program:
Prefectural University of Kumamoto (PUK) - Kumamoto
Capital University of Economics and Business (CUEB) - Beijing
Hallym University - Chuncheon
For More Information Contact:
Dr. Paul Foster, Director - International Studies
Abby Cook, Assistant Director - International Studies
Alisa Batchelor, International Student & Scholar Advisor