Exchange Student Admissions
We are excited that you are choosing Montana State University Billings as your exhange program destination!
Your university MUST HAVE a Partner Exchange Agreement with Montana State University Billings to study through this program.
Partner University exchange students must first apply through their home institution and be nominated by their home institutions before proceeding with the application process.
Please note: it is best that our office receive all communication from your home coordinators until you've been nominated. We are happy to assist with and coordinate any concerns through your home institution's international office!
Important Incoming Exchange Student Information
Students interested in studying at MSU Billings as a short-term exchange student must first be officially nominated by their home university. The home institution must have a partner exchange agreement with MSU Billings.
Students should meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be nominated by an official MSU Billings exchange partner
- Meet or exceed the English Language Proficiency Requirements
- Be able to provide proof of financial support for the duration of the exchange program.
Complete these Six Simple Steps:
Complete your Application
Pay your Application Fee
- $35 for online applications. $30 for paper applications. The fee must be paid in US currency. The application fee will not be waived, deferred, or refunded. The fee must be paid before the application will be processed.
Submit a Copy of your Passport
- Provide a copy of the information page of your passport that includes your surname, given names, photo, date of birth, place of birth, validity period, issuing authority, place of issue, passport number, and the dates the passport was issued and will expire. The copy should be easily legible.
Submit your Proof of English Proficiency (Non-Native English Speakers Only)
- Option 1: Submit a certified letter from and English instructor from the host university confirming that the student meets or exceeds the English proficiency requirements for MSU Billings (TOEFL iBT: 68; TOEFL BPT: 515; IELTS: 5.5).
- Option 2: Complete one of the English competency tests and provide the official results to MSU Billings.
Submit unofficial transcripts
Submit the Financial Statement Form & Supporting Financial Documents
Admission letter & DS-2019
- Once accepted, exchange students will be notified via email and will receive an electronic version of their official admission letter. The Office of International Studies will then proceed with the creation of the DS-2019 immigration document, with which the student will use to apply for a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa.
- After the DS-2019 is created, students will be emailed with instructions to order the shipment of their documents (admission letter, DS-2019 and welcome packet) via eShipGlobal.
Visa Application & Interview
- If you are a United States citizen holding a valid U.S. passport, you do not need to apply for a short term student visa.
- All other students will need to apply for a J-1 College and University Student program
- Review information on the J-1 as a college or university student visa application process
Complete the pre-arrival documentation (send to email@example.com)
- You will work directly with the International Student Advisor to pre-register for courses. This contact information will be provided to you after you have been admitted for MSU Billings and pre-registration has opened. Please note that J-1 Exchange Students are welcome to take any courses at MSU Billings, but degree-seeking students are given priority for upper division courses. Moreover, many upper-division courses require pre-requisites for registration. If you do not have the necessary pre-requisites, you will not be approved to take that particular course.
Applications received after these dates may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applying at least six months before these dates is strongly encouraged.
- Fall Semester (starts in early September): May 15 deadline
- Spring Semester (starts in mid-January): November 15 deadline
Notification of Admission
Applications are processed when all required documents have been received. Successful candidates will be notified by email of their MSUB admission. If certification of financial support has not yet been provided, an email will be sent to you requesting this information. You must provide certification of financial support before your DS-2019 immigration form can be created. DS-2019 form is necessary to obtain your J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. Once your DS-2019 form has been created, an additional email will be sent to you with instructions on how to arrange for the shipment of your admissions packet, which includes your letter of acceptance, your DS-2019 form, and an MSUB welcome guide that includes information regarding orientation, the registration process, life at MSUB, and other details to help you prepare for your move.
The sooner you submit all of your required documents, the sooner you can learn your admissions status.
|Note: Montana State University Billings does not tolerate fraudulent documents. If your application documents are found to be fraudulent, you will be denied admission. Your acceptance can also be revoked due to fraudulent documents. You will not be eligible for admission for up to two years.|