International Undergraduate Application Instructions
Applying to Montana State University Billings as an international undergraduate student is a simple and efficient process. Once a complete application is submitted, you will receive your admission decision in approximately one week.
How to Apply
Complete these five simple steps:
Complete your application
Pay your application fee
- $35 for online applications. $30 for paper applications. The fee must be paid in US currency. The application fee will not be waived, deferred, or refunded. The fee must be paid before the application will be processed.
Submit a copy of your passport
- Provide a copy of the information page of your passport that includes your surname, given names, photo, date of birth, place of birth, validity period, issuing authority, place of issue, passport number, and the dates the passport was issued and will expire. The copy should be easily legible.
Submit your proof of English proficiency
- If English is not your native language, you must demonstrate your proficiency in English. We offer a number of ways to prove your proficiency including by submitting test results or by graduating from certain language schools. For more information, please visit our Options for Meeting English Proficiency Admissions Requirements web page. If you cannot provide proof of English proficiency, conditional admission may be granted, which requires enrolling in our Intensive English Language Program prior to beginning your academic program.
Submit your Transcripts
- If applying as a freshman, please send us your high school transcript. If applying as a transfer student, please submit transcripts for all post-secondary coursework completed. We will review unofficial transcripts for admissions purposes but require submission of official transcripts prior to registering for courses. Official transcripts should be sent directly from the school to the University and must include an English translation. All post-secondary records of academic work completed outside of the US must be submitted for a course by course evaluation to one of the following services:
Certification of Financial Support
At the time of applying, Montana State University Billings does not require certification of financial support. However, if admitted into a US institution of education, the US government requires international applicants show proof of funds to cover at least the first year of study prior to receiving their student visa. To fulfill this requirement, you will need to submit the MSUB International Student Financial Form accompanied by an official letter or bank statement in English from a banking institution showing the amount of funds available to you during the academic year.
International Students Graduating from US or Canadian High Schools
International applicants who attended high school in the United States or Canada are also required to submit SAT or ACT scores. While we will review unofficial score reports for admission purposes, we require official test scores sent directly from the testing service.
International undergraduates interested in taking a limited number of courses at MSUB without pursuing a degree may apply for one year of non-degree status. Applicants must submit the following:
- A letter of intent outlining educational objectives, purpose of study, and specific terms and dates of attendance at MSUB
- A financial certificate signed by the sponsor and applicant
Applications received after these dates may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applying at least six months before these dates is strongly encouraged.
- Fall Semester (starts in early September): July 15 deadline
- Spring Semester (starts in mid-January): November 25 deadline
- Summer Semester (starts in mid-May): March 15 deadline
Notification of Admission
Applications are processed when all required documents have been received. Successful candidates will be notified by email of their MSUB admission. If certification of financial support has not yet been provided, an email will be sent to you requesting this information. You must provide certification of financial support before your I-20 form can be created. An I-20 form is necessary to obtain your F-1 student visa. Once your I-20 form has been created, an additional email will be sent to you with instructions on how to arrange for the shipment of your admissions packet that includes your letter of acceptance, your I-20 form, and an MSUB welcome guide that includes information regarding orientation, the registration process, life at MSUB, and other details to help you prepare for your move.
The sooner you submit all of your required documents, the sooner you can learn your admissions status.
Unofficial scanned copies of documents can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Official test scores, transcripts, and other items must be sent to the following address:
Note: Montana State University Billings does not tolerate fraudulent documents. If your application documents are found to be fraudulent, you will be denied admission. Your acceptance can also be revoked due to fraudulent documents. You will not be eligible for admission for up to two years.