What is WUE?
McMullen Hall in the summer

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), a program coordinated by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE), rewards a student’s academic achievement by offering a re­duced tuition level: in-state tuition plus fifty percent of that amount.

Who is eligible for WUE?

The WUE Scholarship is available to qualifying students from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Addtionally, U.S. Pacific Territories and Freely Associated States eligible for WUE includes:
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Guam, Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Republic of Palau, and American Samoa.

  • The recipient must meet the non-Montana resident admissions standards.
  • The recipient may not use the time spent as a WUE student to meet the 12-month residency requirement to earn Montana residency status.
  • The recipient must be working toward the completion of his/her first undergraduate degree.
  • The recipient must reapply for the WUE Scholarship if he/she does not attend one full semester and returns to MSU-Billings. 
  • General questions concerning the WUE program may also be addressed to: Student Exchange Programs, Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, P.O. 9752, Boulder, Colorado 80301-9752; call (303) 541-0200; or view the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education website at www.wiche.edu.

To be considered for reduced tuition and fees through the WUE Program at MSU Billings, complete an application for admission today.

Both City College and University students are eligible for WUE. Tuition varies on each campus. Check out our cost of attendance page for the most current WUE tuition information.


WUE states



Connect with your Admissions Representative