(available ONLINE and/or On Campus)
- Public & private accounting firms
- Large and small businesses
- Government agencies
*Standard Occupational Classification System
DEGREE & CERTIFICATE OPTIONS
A Certificate of Applied Science is awarded upon successful completion of the required Accounting Assistant courses. All credits earned in completion of the certificate may be applied toward the Accounting Technology Associate of Applied Science Degree.
PLAN OF STUDY
- Accounting Assistant Certificate of Applied Science
- Accounting Technology Associate of Applied Science
SKILLS, TRAITS, PREPARATORY CLASSES THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL
- Mathematics to solve problems.
- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Prepare summary statements of business conditions for small businesses or government agencies
- Utilize basic business computer applications
- Excel, Access, Word...
- Computerized accounting software
- Process daily accounting transactions, journals, and ledgers and handle other entry-level accounting functions
- Prepare financial statements
- Perform payroll functions
- Manage cash and accrual accounting
- Handle accounting for sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations
- Communicate professionally, both in person and in writing
- Problem solve
- Conduct an effective job search
- Proficient in mathematical skills necessary for business calculations
GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION
Job Outlook and Pay Info
Median Wage (MT)*
Median Wage (US)*
Average entry-level wage, COT grads (2006-2010)
Expected growth (MT)*
(projection through 2016)
Expected growth (US)*
(projection through 2018)
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, Office of Employment Projections; MT Dept. of Labor and Industry, Research and Analysis Bureau
PROGRAM COST AND COMPLETION INFORMATION
Program Completion information was not required for this program for the 2009-2010 academic year.