Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if a student’s behavior violates MSUB's Code of Student Conduct?

Conduct Guidelines and Grievance Procedures for Students

If you suspect a student conduct violation has occurred, please fill out the Incident Report Form. The Office of the Dean of Students will make the final determination what, if any, violations have occurred. If you would prefer, you may also contact us at (406) 657-1619 or before filing a report.

How can I address students who display disruptive behavior in class?

For most instances of disruptive student behavior, we recommend that you schedule a time to meet with the student outside of class to discuss the behavior and then allow him/her an opportunity to correct the behavior.  If the behavior persists, it could result in the student being charged by the Office of the Dean of Students with disruptive conduct.  Please feel free to consult with the Office of the Dean of Students to determine whether a student's classroom behavior constitutes a violation of the Code of Student Conduct.

How can I provide help to a student whose behavior concerns me, but is not a conduct code violation?

If the student's behavior constitutes an immediate threat of safety for him/herself or others, please immediately call University Police (406-657-2222). For all other behavior, please review the resources on the Campus Safety and Welfare website.  You may then want to report a student of concern via the reporting form found on the CSW site.  Please feel free to contact the Dean of Students office if you would prefer to consult with them before filling a report.

What steps should I take when I suspect an academic misconduct violation has occurred?

  • Gather any materials that verify your suspicion of academic misconduct.
  • Review the incident with a fellow colleague, your department head, and/or college dean to gain another perspective in the situation and familiarize yourself with the reporting process.
  • Contact the student to set up a time to discuss the situation/incident.
  • Meet with the student and discuss your perspective on what happened. Give the student an opportunity to share his/her perspective as well. You may want to consider inviting a colleague and/or Dean of Students staff member to join this meeting. It is also acceptable for the student to bring an additional support person with them, should they choose to do so.
  • Make a determination of responsibility and notify the student in writing of your determination. 
  • Report the academic misconduct violation to your appropriate department chair and/or the Provosts Office.
  • Report a Conduct Code Violation or Student Behavior Concern