STAT 141 Introduction to Statistical Concepts
Prerequisite: M 08 or equivalent
Introduces the basic ideas of modern statistics including descriptive statistics, probability, and statistical inference.
- Understand the commonly used terms in statistics and express statistical concepts precisely in writing,
- Display and describe categorical data,
- Display and summarize quantitative data using measures of center and spread,
- Understand and use z-score as a ruler,
- Understand random data and experimental designs involving randomness,
- Apply several probability rules to calculate probabilities,
- Calculate measures of probability models such as expected value and standard deviation,
- Understand various types of random variables,
- Understand properties of sampling distribution, including the central limit theorem, and
- Calculate and interpret confidence intervals and perform hypothesis testing for proportions.