Artist Book Collection
Artist Book Curriculum Ideas
Art & Math
Study M. C. Escher and create a tessellation book.
(See websites: Wikipedia and M.C. Escher)
- Create a book using only geometric forms as illustrations.
- Design a numbers book.
- Construct a book by building layers of kaleidoscope designs.
Art & Science
- Make a book instead of a poster to illustrate a concept in science.
- Make mini-books for a mini-science fair.
- Reuse an old science book to create a new science book (altered book).
- Create a book in the shape of an animal, fish, bird or other "creature."
Art & Social Studies
- Illustrate a book about your community or school.
- Visually compare and contrast your culture with another culture.
- Create a book illustrating how a specific culture has developed.
- Map the Silk Route or the Spice Route in a self-designed book.
Art & Language
- Write new symbols for the alphabet in a self-designed book.
- Read a classic and use only drawings and minimal words for a new book.
- Develop symbols for the main characters in a short story or novel.
- Create new Dr. Seuss style characters for a book to honor Dr. Seuss.
- Make a book about a poem.
Art & History
- Make a timeline book.
- Research your family and create a family tree book.
- Draw historical scenes illustrating a certain time in history.
Art & Technology
- Create a book about your life using a graphic program from the web.
- Using graphics programs, create a surrealist book.
- Create web pages; remember web pages are electronic books.
- Create a book using a presentation program.
- Combine a word processing program and a paint program for a book.
- Import images using a scanner and a clip art program to create a book.
- Cut out sections of a manufactured book and illustrate in a new way.
- Put new pages in an old book cover.