Office of International Studies

Study Abroad Exchange Programs

photo of a Japanese templePrefectural University of Kumamoto


PUK embraces the motto Think Globally, Act Locally.  The curriculum is centered on this thought process, and is designed to enhance intercultural communication.  They welcome students from their sister universities across Thailand, Korea, China, Taiwan, and the USA.


Kumamoto Prefecture is located right in the center of Japan’s southern island of Kyushu.  It has a population of more than 1.8 million and is renowned for its beautiful landscapes and rich natural surroundings.  Kumamoto City is known as the City of Forests and Water, and is home to Kumamoto Castle, a “Big 3” castle in Japan. 


Academic Year

Spring Semester: April through July
Winter Semester: October through February


The liberal arts program includes a range of language courses including English, German French, Mandarin Chinese and Korean.  Other liberal arts courses are also intended to promote cross-cultural understanding and develop international ways of thinking.  Science English for students in the Faculty of Environmental & Symbiotic Sciences is aimed at building up specific skills for scientific English, while an array of specialized courses for students in the Faculty of Letters & courses such as Principles of International Relations, Asian Area Studies, & International Systems for students in the Faculty of Administration are useful for cultivating a deep understanding of different cultures and acquiring an extensive knowledge of international affairs.


Additionally, the Language Learning Commons forms the centerpiece of PUK’s support for self-access language learning.  The language lab has a large range of software and multimedia materials for language learning, which includes Japanese as a Foreign Language.  There is also, a recording studio available for students to create videos, podcasts and other multimedia projects.

photo of cherry blossoms and a Japanese templeHousing

Homestays are available.  Many PUK students have served as homestay hosts for overseas students and taken part in international exchanges at home.  Also, apartment rooms near the university are available.


Tuition is paid directly to MSUB.  Additional registration costs may apply.


Exchange students require a College Student Visa. Once your application is accepted, PUK will send a Letter of Student Authorization and Certificate of Eligibility. Exchange students must submit Letter of Student Authorization and Certificate of Eligibility to Japanese Embassy in order to obtain Visa.

Health Insurance

Exchange students with a one year visa should apply for National Health Insurance.

Contact OIS for more information: