M 143 Finite Mathematics
Prerequisite: M 095 or equivalent
Studies applications of systems of linear equations to problems of optimization, elementary functions, logic, and mathematics of finance. Introduces differentiation.
- Understand linear functions, linear inequalities and apply them to solve real-world problems
- Solve systems of linear equations by a variety of methods
- Graph linear inequalities and solve linear programming problems graphically
- Solve mathematics of finance problems, including the computation of simple, compound interest, present, future value of annuities, and amortization of loans
- Construct truth tables and equivalent statements involving compound or conditional statements and analyze arguments with quantifiers
- Understand nonlinear functions and apply them to solve real-world problems, and
- Understand the definition of the derivative and calculate derivatives.