Montana State University Billings is committed to the success of its students. To ensure that every student takes full advantage of the educational opportunities, MSUB is piloting an Academic Alert System. The goal of the Academic Alert System is to improve students’ persistence and academic success. The system allows faculty and staff to be proactive, supportive, and collaborative in facilitating the academic components of student retention.
Submit alerts early in the semester. Earlier alerts allow more time for students to take the necessary steps for a successful outcome.
Academic Alert System Process
- Faculty/Staff submits an Academic Alert for a student through the online Academic Alert submission form.
- Academic Alerts can be in one of four predefined categories:
- Lack of Essential Skills
- Other: Open-ended alert defined by the submitter
- An email notification is sent to the student and to the Advising Academic Alert Response Team at either University Campus or City College.
- The email notification sent to the student is pre-populated within the Academic Alert System and is completely editable by the submitting faculty/staff member before it is sent.
- Within 48 hours of receiving an alert, a member of the Advising Academic Alert Response Team will reach out to the student and subsequently refer them to the appropriate resources available at MSUB.
- The responding member of the Advising Academic Alert Response Team will record the steps taken to assist the student through the online Academic Alert Resolution form.
- Upon resolution, email notification is sent to the faculty/staff member who generated the alert. Notifying them of the resolution and actions taken to assist the student.